So it's been a couple of months now since I returned back from my travels across Europe, but I think its about time I write about my adventures :)
For starters, I guess I should explain my trip. I booked a tour that traveled to 10 different countries in Europe over 23 days. I'd never been to Europe (or around the world much at all) before this trip.... and I never realized what adventure I was missing out on until my journey began. The tour group met in London, but the tour didn't include London so I flew in a couple of days early to explore on my own. I'm used to flying by myself, but I'm definitely not used to landing in a foreign city, let alone a foreign country, with out anyone there I know. The plane ride was surprisingly pleasant, with surprisingly good food (thanks Air Canada!). It was also a nice bonus that the passengers next to me were great company and shared many stories with me about their own travels. When I arrived in London, I found it was so easy to navigate and after making some new friends at the airport that I would later try to meet up with, and traveling on the tube to Kings Cross Station, I had very little difficulty finding my way to the hostel I was staying at for my two nights in London. I was a little skeptical about staying in a hostel, as I had never done anything like it before... but I am so thankful that I did because it was so easy to make friends quickly in this foreign place. I spent the first day wandering around the city and catching the tube to random places (such as Hyde Park) so that I would know how to quickly get to the sites the next day. I later made some friends in the lobby, one from New Zealand, who I hope to remain in touch with for a long time to come :). A good friend (since middle school) happened to be in London with her boyfriend and was able to meet my new friend and I at my hostel and we had an amazing night just laughing and sharing stories with one another.
The next day I was supposed to meet my new "wolfpack" (3 guys from California that I met at the airport), at Hyde Palace, for the changing of the guard, but let me tell you... there were a lot of people there, so I didn't have much luck. Instead, I met this amazing family, a wife and husband who had been traveling with their 3 young boys across the world (16 different countries, over a span of 11 months). I spent the rest of the afternoon traveling
to the sites with this awesome family, while they told me about the coolest places they had visited and showed me photos- adding to my already lengthy list of countries I have to see. I was so lucky to have met such a generous and open family, and it really made my adventures in London (on my own) that much more enjoyable.
After having only spent 2 days in London
No comments:
Post a Comment